Saturday, February 24, 2018

EASY TO PLEASE...


Not long ago someone said to me.. "You sure are easy to please...why don't you ask for a better selection?". I was standing in a store looking at some items and there was not much there to choose from. This total stranger had no idea of what my life had been like or where I had come from. 
She had no idea that when you have NOTHING, you are homeless, not by choice, and are grateful for anything..you are EASY to PLEASE. 
                                    
               

  


It changes your whole existence. You look at life and things around you so different from others. A simple thing like eating out to others is just really exciting to you. 
Going into a grocery store and buying ANYTHING in the store you want is just a dream to you. Watching others talk about going to movies or other activities is something you would only wish to do. You MAKE do with what you have or your situation and you adapt. I learned to adapt and move on day by day. 

When I found myself sitting inside my storage space looking at my life's possessions and having to throw them in a dumpster because I could not sell them and had no way to keep them anymore. It really changed me. You have to totally start over. You suffer from depression and feel helpless and alone. Even with others around you, you still feel alone. They don't really  G E T  how it is to be where you are. You try everything you know to help yourself out of the situation you are in. You go to sleep praying for a miracle.
                        
              

I got my miracle, the one I had been praying for in June of 2014. When my sister was sick in ICU at a hospital out of town, I sat there waiting to see what was going to happen to her and my cell phone rang. One of the apartments I had applied for
finally was available after 3 years of waiting. I was going to have a HOME again. MY own place to be. 
The excitement was overpowering to me, I cried thinking about how nice it would be to have a place of my own after all this time. I cried learning that my sister nearly died in that ICU. Dealing with her illness put my life second. I had to make a decision, do what I could to help myself. So yes with help, I took the apartment. I signed the papers for my own place just 6 days shy of my birthday. It was the greatest present I had gotten in my life. I got it sight unseen. Something I never would have thought of doing but given the circumstances, I just was grateful to get it. I was easy to please all right.. just to have a place of my own. I thought I will just deal with it the best I can. Day by day...one day at a time. I had it one whole month before I could move in. 
...... more later....  

            
             

4 comments:

Terry said...

Pretty powerful stuff. I had no idea, you have come so far.

Seeking Serenity said...

so happy to know you all this time <3
yes people who have never been through no hot water/heat/food having to get rid of things that mean stuff to you ( and then seeing those things in a thrift shop = arrow to the heart)
It feels like i am rich having hot water and heat and cheap rent- no space or privacy but thankful.
oh, and FOOD!!

Katie Isabella said...

Sis, I am glad to see you blogged. I remember your telling us of those days as they came and went. I followed you every step that you shared. You went through so much. I'm still right here...always available.
XXooXX

Sue Lehman said...

I remember it well when you got your apartment. I was so thrilled for you to finally have a place of your own again...a real HOME. Maybe this summer I'll finally get to MI to visit you at your place!