Sunday, January 9, 2011

TO EAT OR NOT TO EAT...

THAT is the question! We continue to struggle every day to get Mom to eat more. I have asked just about everyone I know for help and advice. The recent health problems that Mom had caused her tongue and taste buds to be so bad that she doesn't have much desire to eat anything. Mom always loved her coffee but doesn't even drink one cup now. Yesterday we did the happy dance because she actually ate
a cup of pudding. I said "What does it taste like Mom?" and she said "White!" I guess there just was no flavor at all. She has the desire..she asked for a cheeseburger without the seeds on the bun. When she got the burger, she took one bite.. that was all. We were crushed. Best I can do is keep trying everything I can. If it were not for those high protein supplement drinks like ensure etc., I just don't know what we would do.
We did find out that some medications do cause things to not have the greatest taste for her so maybe that was the problem..time will tell. The latest thing is, that a side effect of the antibiotic was that she broke out all over.. now her skin is peeling like
a sunburn. It is the talk of the center.. no one has ever seen anything quite like it. The doctor and the surgeon were really surprised. Leave it to Mom to be different from
anyone else in the place.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Your Mom is in my prayers and you too. Golly to have no taste would be rather blan eh? I do hope she eats. God bless Carol.

Beth said...

Sis, I do hope and pray that your mom will get better!
Hugs,
Beth

Feisty Crone said...

Praying for your Mom, and you.

Lisa said...

Your in my Prayers for so much strenght. Life is so precious. We dont know how much until we take care of the ones we love sometimes. I know.

Joe said...

Loss of appetite can be a real problem for sure. I remember it being an issue with both of my grandparents when we took care of them. Ensure was about the only thing that would work. I pray that things improve my friend. I'm so sorry about the side effects from the antibiotics...that doesn't sound like much fun at all.

Terry's Tete-a-tete said...

I really do hope she gets her appetite back soon. I know it's hard to eat when nothing has a taste.