Tuesday, November 30, 2010

ISN'T THAT THE WAY??

YOU are minding your own business driving down the road when all of the sudden you see those red and blue lights behind you. That sick to the stomach feeling comes over you and you think.. "what the heck did I do?".. You slow down only to see the public safety car pass you by. (They don't call them police or cop cars around here
anymore.) What a RELIEF!! You speed back up and in no time here comes another one moving fast. Now you get curious as to the reason. My mind really goes to car-deer accidents first in pretty good weather. I was wrong on that one though. Coming over the hill into the flatter part of the freeway, I see a long line of taillights shining and know that this cannot be good. No way out. No roads to turn off of and go another way. Mom panics right away because she will MISS her time to go on for her treatment. I tell her that "this is why I take the back road..more ways to go." We move ever so slowly..
it seems like it takes hours to go only a mile down the road. The clock says only 10 minutes have passed. By the time we reach the accident, state police and sheriff cars are they helping assist. One car is headed toward us in the median strip, the other in the ditch on the other side. Someone had really made a bad mistake at trying to enter the freeway and have no place to go. We get to where we can leave the freeway and I do it gladly. We cannot miss treatment..it just cannot be done.  I dread the winter, with life sustaining treatment, that has to be given, you cannot get stuck anywhere, you get there "any way" you can. There is a saying by John Lennon. "Life is what happens to you when you are busy making other plans." We make plans now around what is most important and everything else can just go on the back burner. The back roads will get you there eventually..Mom laughed..slow going but safe.

7 comments:

Beth said...

Those same thoughts were always with me when I was taking Jim back and forth to the hospital. Very frightening for you all. I am glad you are safe.
Hugs,
Beth

Unknown said...

That is the same feeling that I get and such relief when they pass by! I am so glad you two are alright. Hugs to you both.

Terry's Tete-a-tete said...

I always had that feeling taking my son back and for to Madison. I glad you made it in time. I hope those in the accident weren't hurt badly.

Joe said...

Such a delicate balance of life. I pray that you're always at the right place at the right time. It's things like this that make it all seem like life is held together with the most delicate of threads. Our weather has gone very bad indeed...I pray that you're spared what we've endured with deep snow and cold.

Unknown said...

Oh I fear those lights in the rear view too. I hope no one was hurt in the wreck.
Winter is definitely a terrible time for traveling. I pray everything goes smoothly the rest of the winter and you and Mom and can get to her treatments just fine.
God Bless!

Unknown said...

Frankie's neurologist pulled his usual trick on us, changing her appointment for an EEG and consultation from all in the same day to two consecutive days which means two 80 mile round trips to Radford on the idiot strip next week. People around here don't seem to understand that the acceleration lanes on the on ramps are for ACCELERATING. I don't know how many times I've seen cars get crunched after STOPPING at the top of the ramp.

K@ said...

One time, I was behind a highway patrol car when he moves over into the other lane. After slowing down he moves back into my lane and turns on his flashers. I'm think what on earth? I wasn't speeding! When he gets to my window I asked, "Is there a problem?" "Yes, you were following too close." WHAT? I went postal. The roads where dry, I wasn't speeding, I was a car length away, and my brakes are good! Luckily, he just gave me a warning even after my tirade! LOL